Friday, December 2, 2011

Getting Back To It

I'm forever climbing uphill. I know it will always be that way. The struggle to lose weight and then maintain your goal weight is not an easy one, but it's worth it.

I've spent the last month (or more) feeling sorry for myself.  Having a hernia meant no working out, so I felt defeated which led to binge eating, which of course led to more feelings of defeat. 

I had my hernia surgery a couple of weeks ago and the recovery was harder than I expected.  My surgeon told me I'd start feeling better in 3-4 days, two weeks later and I'm still really sore.  I had my follow up with him two days ago and he said my hernia was bigger than they had suspected so that is why it's taking longer for me to get better (my ob/gyn was in the surgery room at same time as my hernia surgery and he had told my husband the same thing).  Anyway, my surgeon said it will probably be 8 weeks before I'm 100% again.  However, he did give me permission to get back on the treadmill, just nothing else for a couple of more weeks.  Yesterday I hit the treadmill for 30 minutes.  It was nothing to write home about, but it felt great.  I'm getting ready to head out and do it again.

So, I'm using that permission as the motivation I need to get back on track and get back in the habit of doing what's right for my body and health.




We've been having some amazing friends bring us meals while I recovered.  It's been great food, but it's mostly been comfort food (not really healthy).  Last night I cooked for the first time in weeks.  It felt good to get back in the kitchen and make something healthy for me and my family.  We had teriyaki salmon, brown rice, steamed broccoli, my own version of these twice baked butternut squash.  I only used one squash (instead of six) and it was plenty for our family.  I also only used 1 tablespoon of fat free sour cream.  It was really good and my almost 2 year old loved it!

1 comment:

  1. What a great journey you're on! It's awesome you're able to share it online and encourage others!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers. Please feel free to leave a comment (or 2:)