Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Salmon Cakes

Why are they called cakes?  There's nothing really cakelike about them.  They're not fluffy, they're not sweet.  But boy oh boy are they good.
The other day I was looking for recipes on Epicurious.  I wanted to do something new with my zucchini.  I happened across this recipe for salmon cakes that included zucchini and thought I would give it a shot.  The original recipe used mayo and had a fennel slaw as a side.  I just wanted the cakes and so I didn't do the slaw.  I also subbed greek non-fat yogurt for the mayo and made a few other changes.  It was delish!
Here's my version:
Salmon and Zucchini Cakes
3 Tablespoons Greek Non-Fat Yogurt
Juice from half a lemon
Chopped Chives (I just grabbed a handful from the garden, not precise)
1 TBSP Dijon Mustard
2 Cans of Salmon, drained and flaked
2 Slices Whole Wheat Bread, toasted and pulsed in a food processor to make into crumbs
1 Zucchini, grated

In a small bowl combine yogurt, lemon, chives and mustard.  Set aside.  In another bowl combine salmon, bread crumbs, and zucchini.  Then add yogurt mixture and combine.  From salmon zucchini mixture into small cakes.  Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes per side (until browned).  There's nothing in this that's raw that you have to make sure is cooked.  So, just cook them until they brown on both sides.

I had mine over fresh spinach with a side of apples and it was perfect. So, go try some Salmon Zucchini Cakes. Just don't expect anything sweet or fluffy : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. Please feel free to leave a comment (or 2:)