Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Back to the Gym! Finally! And a New Recipe!

Ahhhh...I finally made it back to the gym after almost a week of suffering from one of the worsts sunburns I've ever had. But I'll get to more about that in a minute.

Today started off pretty well. I had my steel cut oats with Raw Fiber, Ground Flaxseed, Non Fat Vanilla Yogurt, Unsweetened Vanilla Organic Almond Milk, and a big bunch of blueberries.  I am out of fresh blueberries, so I just tossed in some frozen ones.  Fantastic!

After breakfast I headed out with the kids to run errands.  We went to Sprouts and Costco.  About half way through Costco I started getting really really sleepy (not like me for it just to hit me in the middle of the store), my head started hurting really badly, and I started feeling like I'd be sick if I didn't get something to eat.  I've had migraine issues for a long time, but they've never come on like this so I don't know what it was.  We finished our shopping and headed to an all natural organic local burger place next to Costco.  I got a burger (seriously one the best burgers in town in my opinion), some sweet potato fries, and a large unsweetened green tea.  I ate about half the fries and the rest were eaten by one of my kids.  It wasn't the most healthy lunch, but it was the healthiest of what was around.
I got home still feeling the terrible headache and took some meds.  About 30 minutes later I was feeling much better so we headed to the gym.  I was soooooo glad to be back at the gym.  First I got on the treadmill to work on my Couch to 5k program.  I did the week 2 program again since I didn't really get to much of it last week.
I went a little faster this time and I went a little further (not a lot further .02 miles to be exact), but it's still further than I've ever gone before.  I'm almost at the 2 mile point!  I can't wait to hit that.  Hopefully next time.  There were two times when I had to walk an extra 30 seconds and at one point I kind of felt like I might puke, but it was worth it.  I am so glad I did it.
After the run I wasn't ready to go so I hopped on the bike.  I did a little over 4 miles in a little over 22 minutes.  By the end I was really feeling it in my legs (thanks to my run), so I went ahead and stopped instead of going the full 30 minutes.
After my workout I was really hungry so I grabbed a Lemon Zest Luna Bar.  Yummy and just what I needed.

We ran a few more errands (getting the boys ready to go back to school) and then came home and made dinner.  At Sprouts today they had Eggplants on sale for 99 cents a piece!  I was so sad that I was buying eggplant instead of pulling it out of my garden (my garden is in state of disaster thanks to the horrible drought we're having...I'm going to try again in the Fall), but at 99 cents I couldn't resist.  I decided to make Grilled Eggplant Parmesan.  Now, I've never actually had this dish, so I just kind of made up the recipe and what I thought should be in it.  It was a success!  Everyone loved it.  It was so easy and I can see this being made a lot in our home.  Here's my super easy recipe.  Enjoy!


Get your self an eggplant!
Slice it up, brush it with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Throw it on the grill and wait 5 minutes.

Turn it over and wait 5 more minutes
Take it off the grill and put it on a baking sheet and top with some awesome tomato sauce
Top it with cheese and put it under a broiler to it's all melty and good.  Take it out and enjoy!
I had mine with a side salad topped with Calamata Feta Sass salad dressing.  It was sooooo yummy.  I love when I'm able to pick something up randomly at the store and come home and make something really good from it.  It does a lot for my wife/mommy ego : )

Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
1 Eggplant (there are two in the picture, but I only ended up using one)
Tomato Sauce (I used Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce....my favorite)
Shredded Parmesan Cheese
Shredded Low Fat Mozzarella Cheese
Olive Oil (enough to brush the eggplant slices)
Salt and Pepper to taste

First get an Eggplant.  Slice it into discs about 1/2 an inch thick.  Brush each piece with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Turn your grill onto medium (my thermometer on the grill read 300 degrees).  Grill each side of the eggplant for about 5 minutes per side.  Remove from grill and set on a baking sheet.  Top with about a tablespoon of Tomato Sauce.  Sprinkle with Parmesan and Mozzarella Cheese.  Place in the oven under the broiler until cheese is melted (it took about 4 minutes).  Remove from oven and enjoy!



On a side note, tomorrow is weigh in day and I'm dreading it.  After the past week of no exercise and awful eating I know it's going to be bad.  The only good part is that it's been a great learning experience for me.  I'll post more about that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. Please feel free to leave a comment (or 2:)