Saturday, July 30, 2011

Ah...A New Day and Couch to 5k Thoughts

Yesterday was one humdinger! I was so glad to get that day behind me. And what a difference the fresh start of a new day can make! First, look at all these flowers my sweet hubs brought me.  Way to brighten up my gloomy mood!
I started this morning with overnight oats.  This time a made them a little different than before.  I used 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1 tbsp ground flaxseed, 1/2 cup Unsweetened Organic Vanilla Almond Milk, and 1/2 cup Nonfat Vanilla Yogurt.  I added chopped pecans and a teaspoon of maple syrup this morning.  So, here are my thoughts on the overnight oatmeal.  It's a great concept.  My problem is that I like my oatmeal a bit more chewy.  Does that make sense?  I'm going to see if there's a way to do this with steel cut oats.  I think that would turn out more to my liking.  Also, this one was too sweet, just too much vanilla.  I'm thinking regular milk and vanilla yogurt next time.  I'm not giving up on this!  I think there's definite potential I just need to find a recipe that works for me.
Oh, I forgot to mention that I had breakfast before the sun even came up! I had to meet a friend at 7am this morning and wanted to make sure I ate before I left. I can't remember the last time I was up that early. We met to sign our kids up for something and then went to grab some coffee together. It's been two weeks since I've had coffee and I decided not start again today. So, I had a bottle of water. A small victory in my corner!

Lunch was decent.  Nothing special.  I'm beginning to tire of smoked salmon.  Once this piece that I bought is gone I think it will be a while before I buy it again.  Today I had honey smoked salmon topped with goat cheese, and a side of fruit salad.  The salad was yummy!

We have some sweet friends that are moving from Austin to Denver and they invited a bunch of us to dinner at one of their favorite local burger joints for a going away dinner.  It was sad, but I'm really happy for the journey they're getting ready to take in their lives.  So this little burger place serves two things, burgers and hotdogs that have been cut up and mixed in chili.  Yeah, not any healthy options.  I ordered a burger and about half way through realized I was full and stopped.  Yea for another small victory!  Now just to repeat, repeat, repeat : )

It's been so unbelievably hot here so I've been drinking tons and tons of water.  Even my kids are asking for water (no milk or juice, just water).  The heat is awful and I'm ready for Fall.

I've been thinking a lot about the Couch to 5k program.  I really want to do it.  I really want to train and run a 5k in the Fall.  I keep starting and stopping because of our schedule.  Since the hubster and I share a car it's hard to know for sure when I'll make it to the gym to run on the treadmill (there's no way I'm going to start running in this heat).  It's a real pain.  So, I decided that I'm just going to do it.  Every time I get to the gym I'm going to do the program.  I'll keep doing each level until I feel ready to move on to the next level.  It may take me a little longer but at least I'll be getting it done!  I'm ready to meet one of my goals.  It's time to stop just thinking that I need to do it and just do it!

What about you?  Is there anything you need to stop thinking about and just do?

**by the way...my birthday is next month and I've asked the hubs for a new camera.  Hopefully I'll be getting some decent pictures up soon**

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. Please feel free to leave a comment (or 2:)