Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Day 2 of the Detox

I made it through day 2!!!!

Ok, first let me give you the stats.  I weighed in yesterday at 190.  Today I weighed in at 188.8.  So, that's a 1.2 pound loss in one day.  We'll see what I weigh in at tomorrow, but it seems like things are working.

I woke up this morning with a killer headache (like couldn't get out of bed headache).  I'm sure it's my body withdrawing from all the crap I eat.  I took some pain killer and once the headache was gone I started my day out with some pomberry coconut water.  Hmmm....I had such high hopes for this stuff.  I see people at the gym drinking it all the time and I've read such good things about it.  I just didn't like it.  I was really bummed.  However, it didn't go to waste.  My 18 month old has been having some nasty tummy troubles and needed some electrolytes.  Well, this stuff has them so I thought I'd see if he liked it and he did!  Yeah!  So, he chugged the stuff while the thought of it made me gag.
After the nastiness of the coconut water I decided to make some juice.  I saw a juice on another blog that looked good so I decided to give it a shot.  I had watermelon, celery, carrot and cucumber.  Here it is prejuice:
Here it is post-juice.  Doesn't it look appetizing?  No?  Yeah, it didn't look great to me either.  It also tasted really bad.  Again, I was disappointed.   I think if I had followed the recipe on the blog it might have been better (there was a lemon and ginger in the other one), but I didn't have the ginger so I just made it with what I had.  I drank about 1/4 of it.
Next up I had some beef broth (@8 ounces). Not great (it's just broth), but whatever, I didn't expect greatness.
Then I realized that I needed some water so I grabbed a Blackberry Hint Water.  It was good.  Not as good as yesterday's honeydew hibiscus hint water, but still good.
I finished up the day with more juice.  This time I had two apples, a pear, a carrot, a bunch of spinach, and a bunch of blueberries.
Look how pretty it was straight out of the juicer!  Now this was good.  In fact it may be one of my new favorite juices.  Definitely going to be making this again.

So, how did I feel today? I actually felt pretty good! I'm definitely more hungry than I was yesterday, but once I got past the headache this morning I was good to go. I even felt like exercising. I did a new workout dvd that is on instant watch on Netflix.  It's Crunch Super Slim Down Pilates and Yoga Blend.  I loved it!  It was exactly what I needed.  About 3 minutes in I thought "this is really easy, I'm not going to get a good workout", but about half way through I was working up a sweat and it was a tough workout.  If you're looking for something new to try at home I recommend this one.  It's really easy to follow, the instructor gives great cues.  It's also just a lot of fun.  It's fast paced and won't bore you.  Now, it's not the kind of workout I get when I do an hour on the elliptical, but it was hard enough that I thought it was worth it.

After working out I sat down to fold laundry. With 6 of us there's always laundry to fold!  I like to watch a movie while I fold clothes.  Today I watched "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead."  It was AWESOME!!  Seriously, loved it.  There's a lot of health documentaries out there that I've watched and I always come away feeling slightly depressed and a little hopeless.  This was NOT the case with "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead."  I had a smile on my face and honestly felt hopeful when it was over.  It was very well made and not only incredibly informative, but also really entertaining.  I highly recommend watching it.  In short, it's about a guy who's fat and overweight and ill and he decides to get healthy by changing his diet.  What happens to him is amazing, but what happens to the people he meets on his journey is pretty incredible too.  Watch it, for real.  You won't be disappointed.
One of the pictures that they showed really stuck with me and I've been thinking about it today.  The picture is of how much space is used up in your stomach from 400 calories of oil, or chicken, or vegetables.  I never saw it presented this way and it really struck me.  You can get completely full on 400 calories of vegetables, but no where near full on 400 calories of oil or meat.  Here's the picture and it's from Dr. Fuhrman's book, Eat to Live.
So, that's my day 2 on the detox in a nutshell.  I'm really happy with how it's going.  I'm definitely hungry and I'm looking forward to being able to eat raw fruits and veggies and brown rice tomorrow.  But, I'm glad I'm doing this.  I think it's going to be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. Please feel free to leave a comment (or 2:)